Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gah! Math!

I apparently have amazing beginner's luck or something. I'm running into all kinds of problems this time around and I'm getting really mad:

The cat is clearly siding with the
book on this one.
Problem #1: The Pattern and the Book are in a Fight
I'm quite sure that the book wants me to make a circle skirt, and that's totally what I did last time. However, the pattern pieces tell a totally different story. One says "place on fold" and "cut 1 self." That's totally right. The other says "cut 1 self" which is a total lie. Last time I was using the book extra hard and did the right thing. This time I was cutting everything on the living room floor and left the book on the couch and thus away from my face. Since it was after midnight and I was suffering from insomnia*-induced stupidity,  I forgot what I did last time and only cut 1 self. Fast-forward to several hours later, when I'm trying to attach the skirt to the top, but I keep coming up short.

Problem #2: Thread Tension = No
I have no idea why, but the thread tension on the machine is getting progressively harder to control. Even if I make the upper tension as slack as the machine will allow, it's too tight when I sew through more than one layer of fabric. Old thread, new thread, I've tried a bunch of stuff and the result is the same. It's tolerable with some of the thick variegated thread I got for topstitching the bias strips, but dammit, I don't want to use this stuff on every seam. My mother offered to take a peek at it, and if she can't find the problem it might be time to get this machine serviced.

I apparently breezed through the early stages of the first dress via blind, goofball luck. Argh.

*This is well past "it's summer and I'm wacked out on sleeping late" and deeply into "I've missed acupuncture twice now and am back to not sleeping at all, ever"

No comments:

Post a Comment