Thursday, July 28, 2011

Carry on

I have spent all day sewing, with one short dinner break in the middle. I cannot BELIEVE how much work I've put into this dress. Today, I did the following:


• Cut top into final shape
• Lined straps with interfacing and houndstooth cotton to correct the strap-stretching problem in Dress #1
• Edged entire top with houndstooth strips
• Made petticoat ruffle (had to re-do gathering 3 times because of stupid problems)
• Attached petticoat to dress at waist
• Sewed on pink strip at the waist and houndstooth strip to finish off lining


This may not sound like a whole lot, but almost everything on that list was like a giant I.Q. test for me. I basically did the straps backwards. The proper order would have been to cut out the interfacing and lining fabric when I cut the straps, attach everything but the lining when I made the base dress, and then attach the lining and the edging after doing all the bias strips. Instead, I spent 6 hours (not a typo) trying to add the interfacing and the lining without making the bodice look like I intended to hide ears of corn in my bra.

I'm not quite done, but all that's left is either fun stuff or finishing-type details that aren't a huge biggie. Still to do:

• Figure out what to do (if anything) with the black space at the bottom
• Check the back of the dress to see if the petticoat is really hanging a bit low there or if I'm hallucinating
• Hem dress so the petticoat peeks out evenly on all sides
• Edge dress bottom with houndstooth bas strip
• Attach either a black ribbon or more houndstooth bas strips to the line of stitching on the petticoat ruffle
• Sleep. Seriously.

Anyway, I'm mere steps away from the end, and here is the result:

The "oink" print on the wall makes this
look even more like something Miss Piggy
would wear, but whatever. I like it.
I promised myself I would go to bed when I finished the petticoat and attached it to Dress #2. I just did that. Once I post this I can go to freaking bed. Self-imposed goals sound so responsible unless you're someone like me, who seems to only make these types of goals when it will result in never going to bed, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment