Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wardrobe Refashion - taking the 6 month pledge.

I was bopping around online and I came across this link to the Wardrobe Refashion pledge. I like this idea so much that I figured I'd give it a go. Basically, you make a pledge to take a break from buying mass-produced clothing and make your own clothes for a set number of months (or a lifetime, if you're feeling SERIOUS BUSINESS about this whole thing). You can buy handmade things if you have to, and work-related specialty clothes and underwear aren't subject to the rule. Also, you get one get out of jail free card for desperate times, like a wedding or once-in-a-lifetime sale.

It was hard to take a photo without
looking like I was adjusting my bra.
The downside is that the Wardrobe Refashion group is closed, so I can't exactly sign up and have a handy community of mysterious online people to help hold me to this. However, that's probably a good thing. I'm naturally contrary, and whenever everyone around me is telling me to do something I have a tendency to buck against it and sabotage myself so I fail spectacularly. Therefore, I'm making my own pledge:

I, Jessica Young, will not buy new clothes for the next 6 months. I will instead create, refashion, deconstruct, reconstruct, or otherwise hand-make my clothes from now until the end of my 2012 summer vacation. I am still allowed to buy shoes (duh), underthings, and specialty items that are used for a specific activity (like safety gear, uniforms, etc.), and I am allowed one "get out of jail free" card in case of emergency. I will post everything I make on my various online publishing sources so I can track my progress and share my experiences. 


Signed, Jessica Young.


I admit that this might be easier for me because I don't buy a lot of new clothes, but hey, now it feels official. I hope this will force me to blog more because I have a reason to make more clothes and accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment